Tuesday, June 30, 2009

From Shelter Life to a Manhattan Apartment

Today's Guest Columnist Topic:
"From Shelter Life to a Manhattan Apartment: Movin' on Up"

By Lila M., New York, NY

Hi. My name is Lila and I'm a one-year-old white poodle mix.

I was adopted from a Long Island shelter last December. The first few days in my new home were really scary. I just wanted to be the best girl I could, so I didn't play fetch or tug of war or anything like that. I didn't even bark! I tried to just be a good puppy so my new family would keep me. The problem was that my new mommy didn't believe I was even a puppy. She thought I was an older doggie!

Baron really helped me to feel at home with my new family. He sent me a yellow Canine Genius as a “welcome to your new home” gift. It came with these delicious little treats that my humines put inside. The gift was a great choice because I could show my family how playful and how smart I really am. It helped to change my mom's mind really fast! I'm so happy, I love my family, and I think Baron's the coolest! He signed me up for their birthday club, and he even sells healthy food! What more could an adorable pooch want?



Lila M., New York, NY - Our friend Lila enjoying a day at the beach.

Thank you Lila, for sharing the story of your first few days with your new family. We all know how stressful the transition from shelter to home can be. We're glad everything is going so well.

Baron and I would like to take a moment to let everyone know about Whisker Cares, our program to help cats and dogs who, unlike Lila, have yet to find their forever homes.
“Everyone is being affected by the current economic crisis in some way, including animals,” said ASPCA President & CEO Ed Sayres. “Community animal shelters and rescue groups across the country could be seeing an increase in the number of homeless pets they must care for, or a decrease in the donations they rely on to care for those animals. There has never been a better time to support your local animal shelter if you are in a position to do so.”*
Baron and I started Whisker Cares to provide support to those organizations making a difference in their communities by helping animals in need. When you shop at WhiskerGifters.com for pet food, treats, supplies and gifts you can choose a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit animal welfare agency to which Baron and I will donate 5% of the order total (excluding tax and shipping). You have the option of choosing an organization you already support such as a local shelter or rescue group, a national agency like the ASPCA or one from the Whisker Cares list, a compilation of organizations with which we're familiar or to which we've previously donated.

To learn more about Whisker Cares or to request an agency be included on the Whisker Cares list, visit our website or send jester an email at jester@whiskergifters.com.

Sincerely,
Baron, Director of Dog Stuff
Jester, Director of Cat Stuff

Upcoming Guest Columnist Schedule
  1. Wednesday, July 1: Minnie M., Tampa, FL regales us with her formerly feral wittiness.
  2. Tuesday, July 7: Kumba W., Springfield, MA discusses the power of naming and renames everyone in her family
If you'd like to become a guest columnist, send your article to jester at jester@whiskergifters.com.


*ASPCA Press Release ASPCA Estimates Up to 1 Million Pets at Risk During Economic Crisis. Nation’s Oldest Humane Organization Stresses Importance of Supporting Local Animal Shelters. February 5, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment